Saturday 15 September 2012

Pin It

Widgets

How to Recover Data from a Corrupt Memory Card or USB Drive

I opened up my file manager on my phone and there was no storage card! I popped the Micro SD card out and threw it into an adapter. The adapter let me slide the card into it and then it has a USB adapter on the end. I plugged it into my laptop and my machine recognized it as a drive and gave it a letter. But when I went to click on it I get a error box with a message. It says E:\ is not accessible. The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable. DAMN! DAMN! DAMN!


Ok time for a little command line magic. I hit the start menu ““ run and typed CMD to bring up a command prompt. Then I typed Chkdsk e: /r



The chkdsk command checks a disk for structure corruption. The e: tells it what drive letter to use and the /r tells it to repair the issues it finds. You may see the warning that your drive is not a Windows XP drive ““ this is not an issue. You can continue on by pressing Y to continue. It will start to run through the files and directories. You will feel a lot better when you see your file names”¦ It proves all is not lost! Aren’t you glad you went this route instead of formatting it?


When it is almost complete it will ask you if you want to save lost chains into files ““ I always pick yes but have never used those files once to this day!


Chkdsk will report back what it has done and then go to my computer and check out your drive. Mine opened at this point and I was able to get to all my data as you can see below



I then popped my Micro SD card back into my Windows Mobile and was good to go. All in about 7 minutes on the train. Not too shabby eh?
Do you have any repair stories to share with us? Leave them in the comments. Your hardship and work might just help someone else out!


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Complicated?
If you have any question about any Post, Don't hesitate to ask question.You can simply drop a comment below post.Your Feedback always appreciated.